Friday, February 1, 2013

Asbestos Testing, Quote #1


Today I met asbestos remover (“remediation services”) #1 for some testing on the linoleum kitchen floor and the pipes in the basement. Once he was on the scene, he also noted that we have tile in the basement that should be tested. Sure thing.

The results are in, and so is our quote. No asbestos in the kitchen, but there is asbestos in the flooring adhesive (mastic, as the professionals call it) and in the pipe insulation. Both need to be removed, in addition to the lead paint that’s chipping on all of the radiators and the moldy drywall in the basement. I should note that he wouldn’t let me come near his sampling areas because I could get “contaminated,” he was pretty abrasive, and he didn’t explain himself very well. His fear tactics weren’t cutting it and neither was his unreasonably high quote. Time for a second opinion.

I signed up for Angie’s List. It’s my new favorite thing. I found a new remediation services guy named Peter. People cannot say enough good things about this man. Scheduled a time for an estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment