Monday, October 14, 2013

The Oil Tank has a Hole: Converting to Gas?

Remember my complaining from earlier this year about all the times we had to fill up the oil tank?

Well, I called the oil people to come fill up the tank again. They called me back on delivery day and said we have an irreparable hole in the tank. Not only that, there was an oil spill and we could get fined.

With no idea how or where to get a new oil tank, I consulted my best friend- Angie's List. I had a few contractors come out and gives quotes to replace and install a new oil tank, and quotes ranged from $1400-$1900. Happy Fall, ya'll.

I briefly considered changing out the oil tank myself, but quickly came to my senses. Though I am a very strong and capable woman, I am not cut out for removing this 275 gallon oil drum:




















Our oil bill ran around $1000/month last year and was a giant pain. Although our oil system is fairly new, we're considering switching to gas. It's much cheaper to run and doesn't require monthly trips from the oil truck.

With all of the recent trips from contractors, we found out that our hot water heater is also about to die. With that in the mix, we're looking at about 6 different options. After a lot of research and learning about boiler systems and hot water heaters, we decided to forego the water heater for now and replace the oil with a conventional boiler system. 

The contractor is busy for the next few weeks, so we're feeling real fortunate about having a working fireplace:

No comments:

Post a Comment